Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Work Wisdom

I really enjoyed President's Hinckley's thoughts about work and I realized that I needed to hear these things right now in my life. I have been struggling lately with school. I feel like I study so hard and I work really hard and that my grades are not reflecting it. I am learning that this is not high school anymore and that I cannot do what I did in high school and make "A's" like I did in high school. I have always wanted to work in the medical field, especially as a pediatrician. I was beginning to think that because I was not doing well in my classes that maybe I am not smart enough. Well, I talked to several people about this and they are told me not to give up. They told me to just work harder. That's just what I am going to do. I am not going to give up on my dream. So, for me, the advice that stood out to me from President Hinckley is that work "is the process by which dreams become realities. It is the idle process by which idle visions become dynamic achievements." I really needed to hear that. I can be a doctor or whatever I want to be through hard work. I need to be willing to sacrifice some of my lazy habits to work hard and eventually get into medical school and continue pursuing my dream. I am grateful for his counsel and that I was able to read that. I am going to put that quote on my bulletin board and read it everyday to remind myself to work hard. I can't believe how the first line of the things we had to read related directly to me. It is no coincidence.
I think the greatest lesson I have learned from hard work is that, just as President Hinckley counseled, "there is no end to what you can accomplish." In high school I learned this lesson, and I think I forgot this lesson since I have been at BYU, but I am remembering it now. My junior year I took calculus. I was so scared for this class and I had a really difficult teacher. I had had him before and although I loved him, I always made B's in his class. For calculus, I was determined to make an "A." I worked so hard doing my homework and I studied hard. I had my friend come over and tutor me, and I made an "A." I never thought that I could make an "A'" in calculus and I know that it is because of the hard work and prayers that I made an "A" in that course. So, as I endeavor in more rigorous courses at BYU, I need to remember these noble truths and work hard!

No comments: