Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Education in Zion

I really enjoyed the section in the exhibit called "From Academy to University: BYU's Founding Vision and Its Educational Pioneers, 1875-1950." In this section, I found the story of Delbert Brigham Brown to be very interesting. He was a "farm boy" growing up and didn't move to Provo until he was fifty two. I am sure he was not very well educated and he got a job as a custodian at the Smith Fieldhouse. I was impressed by his relationships with the students and his desire to help the students even if he didn't know them. As a custodian, I am sure he did not have a lot of money and he gave ten dollars to a foreign student he had never even met. Growing up, he had never even heard of the Word of Wisdom, but while working for BYU he helped students overcome problems with the Word of Wisdom in a kind and gentle way. There was a letter of gratitude from a student who had worked as a student custodian under Brown and I was touched by the sincerity and true respect the students at BYU had for Delbert Brown. I am sure he was not very well learned, but his wisdom was far beyond some of the most educated people I have known or have even heard of. He passed on wisdom to students by helping them through the problems that they faced and helping them to be better people, not necessarily by increasing their secular knowledge. He makes me want to be a better person and to be more selfless. He makes me want to do more service, so that I can have the legacy that he has. I am grateful to be part of this University that has such Christ-like professors and employees. I am surrounded by people that are good examples to me and this man made me realize that even small things can make a big difference.

No comments: