Tuesday, September 30, 2008

"Y" the Y

The tour of the Hinckley Center was actually a lot more interesting than I thought it would be. I was amazed that the symbolism and attention to detail that went into planning and building it. I loved all of the things that were President Hinckley's and that represented him. I loved the bookshelf and the books donated by his family. Everything was so beautiful and well taken care of, it was very homely and welcoming. Aside from the actual building, I was impressed at how quickly the money for the project was raised and surprised at how many people donated money. I know that this is because of their love for the Church, Brigham Young, and President Hinckley. 
The statement, "Once a cougar, always a cougar," to me means many things. It is about loyalty of course, but more than that. It is about the caliber of people that come to BYU and that leave BYU. I was actually talking to one of my friends who goes to BYU also, and she said that one of her professors once said that BYU was created to train leaders in the Church. Although, for some this could be offensive, but for me, it seems very true. BYU is a unique educational experience in that it encompasses not only secular growth and knowledge, but spiritual growth beyond measure. At BYU, students have the opportunity to learn from professors who have the Spirit of Christ with them and teach with the Holy Ghost, who is the best teacher possible. Most graduates of BYU are of the highest caliber of individuals, they are usually the ones that are called to leadership positions in the Church and the ones that are successful in life. I am not saying you have to go to BYU to be a good Latter-day Saint or to be called to leadership positions in the Church, but I feel that a BYU education prepares one for such tasks. BYU seeks to make its' students well rounded and the best that they can be. So as a student at BYU I anticipate to be exposed to many spiritual experiences that I could not otherwise be exposed to and I also anticipate to be taught by the Spirit more than at any other University. I know that BYU is a unique educational environment and I am grateful to be a part of it.

No comments: